Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from May 6, 2020

Balochistan asks NDMA for ventilators

QUETTA: The Balochistan government has asked the National Disaster Mana­gement Authority (NDMA) to provide more ventilators as the number of coronavirus cases is rising fast in the province.“At least 142 more ventilators are required in Balochistan,” provincial government’s spokesman Liaquat Shahwani said, adding that measures such as social distancing and isolation should be enforced to contain coronavirus from spreading to other parts of the province.Referring to some reports about fewer tests being conducted in the province, he said there was only one lab established in Fatima Jinnah Chest Hospital, Quetta, and efforts were being made to set up another in Bolan Medical College Hospital Complex.
More mobile labs would be purchased for increasing tests in the districts affected by coronavirus, he said.Mr Shahwani said that coronavirus tests were being conducted through two PCR machines.He said the health department had learned through random testing that the locally trans…

Second phase of CPEC will start soon: Lt Gen (r) Asim Saleem Bajwa

Last updated on: 06 May,2020 09:21 pm
He said plans have been made for speedy completion of both the routes from Khanjrab to Gwadar
ISLAMABAD (Dunya News) – China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) Authority chairman and Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Media Lieutenant General (r) Asim Saleem Bajwa on Wednesday said that project is a reality and there is no obstacle in it.
Talking to a delegation of journalists in Islamabad on Wednesday, he said, “I have been given additional responsibility as Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Media and I will do my best to improve the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to the best of my ability and experience.”
The CPECA chairman said that plans have been made for speedy completion of both the routes from Khanjrab to Gwadar and in the next few months the remaining sections include major road construction projects.
“CPEC is a national project,” he said and added it second phase is important which would start soon. He said the second p…

No compromise on CPEC, says Pak official

Islamabad, May 7 (IANS) The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is a non-political international project and work for its completion is in progress on a fast pace, Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Information Lt-Gen (retd) Asim Saleem Bajwa has said."There is no political hindrance in its way. The project is Pakistan''s future as well as a tangible reality and no compromise will be made on it," Bajwa, who is also the CPEC Authority Chairman, told the media on Wednesday.Bajwa said Pakistan takes decisions in its interest and there should be no doubt that the CPEC project "is in the best interest of the country", adding that "no external pressure will be accepted", reports The Express Tribune.He said that the working plan of both the routes from Khunjrab to Gwadar has been completed and the remaining link routes will be added into the plan in the next few months."The second phase of this multibillion-dollar project is crucial for the …

First CPEC and now China’s Covid-19: Gilgit-Baltistan’s growing woes

First CPEC and now China’s Covid-19: Gilgit-Baltistan’s growing woes | OpinionGilgit-Baltistan is not a constitutional part of Pakistan and therefore survives on financial handouts from Islamabad.Updated: May 07, 2020 07:52 IST By Senge H Sering,

There is only one Covid-19 testing centre for the entire Gilgit-Baltistan territory with capacity to test 15 people per day. Gilgit-Baltistan (G-B), in proportion to population, has the highest number of Covid-19 cases in Pakistan. So far, 607 people have tested positive in a territory with less than one and half million people. Heroes like Dr. Osama Riaz and paramedic Malik Ashtar who unfortunately died while performing duties without virus protective kits have become a source to galvanize society. Locals blame the authorities for committing criminal negligence by not transporting Dr. Osama to Islamabad to save his life. Dismal economic condition and lack of preparedness could lead to more deaths in coming weeks.G-B is not a constitutional part…

BLA claims responsibility of targeting Pakistani Forces in Shahrag

Current Balochistan
Date: 6 May 2020Author: Admin0 Baloch Liberation Army has claimed the responsibility of the attack, which occurred ealier this Tuesday night.According to the statement released by the Baloch militants group, through BLA’s offical channel Hakkal media, Freedom fighters of Baloch Liberation Army targeted Pakistani military personnel in Sharag area of Harnai.“Two enemy personnel were killed, whereas, another was injured” group spokesman Jeeyand Baloch added in the statement released on media on Wednesday.The BLA and other armed groups have been fighting Pakistani security forces for almost two decades, demanding independence for Balochistan, which they claim has been neglected by the Pakistani state and exploited its mineral resources.

Zamuran: Naag area under military siege from several days

Current Balochistan

Date: 6 May 2020Author: Admin0 Pakistani forces and intelligence agencies have cordoned off the area and banned all movement.According to details, Pakistani forces have intensified their aggression in Naag area of ​​Zamuran. For the past one week, the people of the area have been confined to their homes.According to the local, the communication system has also been shut down in surrounding areas.“Pakistani forces forcibly confiscated the livestock of the locals and took them away” local sources said to TBP.Locals appealed to Balochistan’s political parties and organizations to speak out against the siege of the area by Pakistani forces during the holy month of Ramadan and COVID19 pandemic. However, government officials have not yet commented on the matter.While for the last several days, military operations have been reported in other areas of Zamran, including Tigran and Geshardan, and residents of the area have been threatened with forcible eviction.

Webinar: Balochistan - Independence to Annexation

Forces ‘abducted’ three more persons from Mand

Current Balochistan

Date: 6 May 2020Author: Admin0 Three more men have been abducted by Pakistani forces during search operation in Mand area of Balochistan.According to details, today at earlier morning, Pakistani security forces carried out house-to-house raid in Maheer area of Mand and abducted three persons. who have been identified as Tangai S/o Hashom, Nazeer s/o Doda & Wali Mohammad s/o Doda.Whereas, abduction-styled-arrests are common in Balochistan during search operations by Pakistani forces, but detainees are not produced in front of the court and are detained at undisclosed locations.Such arrested men are commonly called as Missing Persons, and rights campaigns have criticized Pakistan for such illegal practices in the past, but arrests have never stopped and a surge has been witnessed in the abductions this year.

Mand: BLF claims killing three Pakistani soldiers in an Attack

Current Balochistan

Date: 6 May 2020Author: Admin0 Balochistan Liberation Front (BLF) has claimed that Three personnel of Pakistani forces were killed and two were injured in an attack by its fighters.According to a statement released to media on Wednesday, Balochistan’s most active armed group BLF’s spokesman Major Gwahram said that its fighters attacked an outpost of Pakistani forces in Chukap area of ​​Mand, Balochistan on Monday.There has not been any confirmation of the incident from the military authorities, however, very rarely the state forces comment on attacks carried out by Baloch armed groups.The group has carried out several attacks in the area in past too.Whereas, BLF media wing Ashoob published three months reports of it’s attacks against Pakistani Forces.As per the report, During the first three months of 2020, twenty-six (26) attacks were carried out on Pakistani forces. More than fifty-one (51) soldiers were killed and more than thirty-three (33) injured. Two (2) motor…

How the coronavirus pandemic could lead to a ‘less Chinese’ belt and road initiative

As the physical connectivity aspect of the belt and road plan takes a hit amid the Covid-19 outbreak, health and e-commerce projects may get greater attentionTo spread risks, China may have to work with partners such as the World Bank or Asian Development Bank – a move that could boost trust in the initiative
Lucio Blanco Pitlo IIIPublished: 6:00am, 6 May, 2020Updated: 8:39am, 6 May, 2020https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3083008/how-coronavirus-pandemic-could-lead-less-chinese-belt-and-road
China’s early lead in containing and recovering from the coronavirus outbreak bodes well for the resumption of its massive multi-year Belt and Road Initiative. But as a Chinese saying goes, “a solitary bloom does not herald spring”. As the world’s largest manufacturing and trading nation and a growing technology power, its deep integration with the global economy underscores its keen interest in seeing the world recover as soon as possible.China’s rise from the pandemic will revive deman…

Will COVID-19 Be a Blessing in Disguise for the Belt and Road?

The hiatus afforded by COVID-19 provides an opportunity for China to contemplate ways to bring about an improved BRI 2.0. By Xianbai Ji May 02, 2020 This article is freeThe Diplomat has removed paywall restrictions on our coverage of the COVID–19 crisis.https://thediplomat.com/2020/05/will-covid-19-be-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-the-belt-and-road/

Credit: Wikimedia Commons/ SaadsuddozaiADVERTISEMENT The global economic outlook is gloomy in the shadow of COVID-19. As countries take tough preventative public health measures amid what the International Monetary Fund calls “the Great Lockdown,” the global economy is projected to shrink by as much as 3 percent in 2020.In China, the first epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, the economy has been inescapably ground to a halt despite some encouraging signs of regrowth. In the first quarter of 2020, China’s GDP declined by 6.8 percent from a year ago, the first recorded economic contraction in decades.Against this backdrop, the ongoing COVID-19 pande…

For developing world, Belt and Road Initiative is best deal around

OPINION
Nikkei.com China's infrastructure offer supports economic growth in Europe, Africa and AsiaShan Saeed MAY 06, 2020 14:00 JST A bridge construction site of the Bar-Boljare highway, pictured in June 2018: for Montenegro any concerns were far outweighed by the potential economic benefit of the new road.   © ReutersShan Saeed is chief economist at Kuala Lumpur-based IQI Global, the largest real estate agency network in Southeast Asia.China's Belt and Road Initiative program is big -- so big that it scares political leaders in Western countries while at the same time providing them with an easy target for criticism.The BRI encompasses more than 130 countries. The World Bank estimates more than half a trillion dollars of BRI projects are planned, underway or already complete. The intercontinental undertaking is of such scale and diversity that motivated critics have not found it difficult to pick out examples of corruption, self-dealing and overleveraging with which to tar the wh…

Balochistan reports highest number of Covid-19 cases in a day

QUETTA: Balochistan reported highest number of Covid-19 cases in a single day on Tuesday as with the new 174 cases the province’s tally of Covid-19 cases reached 1,495.According to the daily situation report of the Health Directorate of Balochistan, 89 per cent of total Covid-19 cases in the province are now locally transmitted.The locally transmitted cases repo­rted in the province so far are from Quetta 1,156; Pishin 57; Jaffarabad 22; Chagai 17; Mastung 14; Qila Abdullah 23; Sibi 9; Loralai 7; Panjgur 4; Kharan 3; Ziarat 8; Nushki 3; Khuzdar 1; Harnai 2; and Lasbela 9. According to the report, 206 patients of Covid-19 in Balochistan have recovered.Meanwhile, Balochistan Chief Mini­ster Jam Kamal Khan Alyani on Tue­sday visited the Command and Oper­ation Centre for Pandemic and assured its officials that the government would provide all facilities to the institution.The head of the Imran Gichki Command and Operation Centre briefed the chief mini…

Balochistan decides to only test Covid-19 patients showing symptoms due to meagre testing capacity

The Balochistan health department on Tuesday decided to only test those citizens who are showing Covid-19 symptoms due to a lack of testing capacity.According to a statement released by the provincial health department, the Fatima Jinnah Laboratory has been closed for the public — the lab was the only facility where residents could get themselves tested for the respiratory illness."Those suspected of having contracted the virus will only be tested after they have completed a mandatory 14-day quarantine period at home," the statement said. It added that the decision has been taken due to a lack of testing capacity at the laboratory; the results of more than 2,000 tests have already been delayed.The statement, however, contradicted claims made by Balochistan government spokesperson Liaquat Shahwani who — while speaking at a press conference in Quetta earlier in the day — had said that the province will no longer "face a dearth of testing kits and equipment"…