QUETTA: Provincial Home Minister Mir Ziaullah Langove has said that despite repeated appeals by the government, people are not taking preventive measures and a serious situation may prompt the authorities to take more stringent decisions.
Talking to reporters at Manan Chowk on Monday, he said that the provincial government was considering taking more strict steps to restrict the movement of the people.
Quetta Deputy Commissioner retired Major Aurangzeb Badini, Quetta Metropolitan Corporation Administrator Tariq Javed Mengal, EPI’s Manager Dr Kamalan Gichki and other authorities concerned were also present on the occasion. The home minister also visited different parts of the city.
Mr Langove said the present government was doing their best to prevent the possible spread of the coronavirus and to protect the lives and property of the people and that was why a partial lockdown was adopted in the city.
“The purpose of the partial lockdown of the city is to save the public. However, the precautionary measures are not being adopted by the masses, therefore, the government will have to make a big decision in this regard,” he added.
He said that important decisions would be made after Balochistan chief minister Jam Kamal returned to the provincial capital.
Responding to a question, he said the Pakistan Army had always supported the country and the people in difficult times and was still ready to deal with any kind of situation.
To another query, he said the arrival of pilgrims had been completed and now a policy was being devised for the return of businessmen and students who were still in Iran.
Meanwhile, the Balochistan government was strictly implementing its decision of lockdown in Quetta and other districts of the province and sealed many shops and markets found violating the government’s orders.
All shopping malls, markets, shops, bazaars and business centres remained completely closed. The inter-provincial and inter-city transport also remained closed.
Published in Dawn, March 24th, 2020