Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from May 16, 2019

The Great Betrayal: How America Abandoned the Kurds and Lost the Middle East

The Great Betrayal: How America Abandoned the Kurds and Lost the Middle EastDate: Tuesday 21 May 2019
Time: 1215
Venue: Royal United Services Institute, Whitehall, LondonRegisterAt this event Professor David Phillips will examine US Middle East policy, how it relates to Kurdish political aspirations and the role of Kurdish fighters combating ISIS in Iraq and SyriaProfessor David Phillips will discuss one of the longest running conundrums in US Middle East policy, that of Washington’s position on the Kurds. His latest book The Great Betrayal: How American Abandoned the Kurds and Lost the Middle East(Bloomsbury, 2018-2019) is a political history of the Kurds in Iraq, Syria, and Turkey, spanning the 20th and 21st centuries.Professor Phillips will discuss Washington’s position with regard to Kurdish political aspirations and the role of Kurdish fighters combating ISIS in Iraq and Syria. A failed Independence referendum in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq in 2017 deferred Kurdish aspirations f…

 U.S.-China tensions ratcheted up once again

Courtesy: SupChina.com
Thursday, May 16, 2019

In the last 24 hours, U.S.-China tensions ratcheted up once again, this time by several notches.On Wednesday, May 15, Donald Trump issued an executive order instructing the commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, to ban transactions “posing an unacceptable risk.” Although not singled out by name, Huawei was the target. The Commerce Department separately announced “that it had placed the company and its dozens of affiliates on a list of firms deemed a risk to national security,” per the New York Times (porous paywall).Huawei is already effectively excluded from the U.S. market. If the threat implicit in the executive order goes through, Huawei will not be able to buy American-made components that are vital to its supply chain.Qualcomm, Intel, and Broadcom are among Huawei’s American suppliers who stand to lose business.Because so many global mobile network operators are dependent on Huawei equipment, the knock-on effects could be felt worldwide.Hua…

Two-Way Street: 2019 Update U.S.-China Investment Trends

As part the U.S.-China Investment Project, a multi-year research initiative led by NCUSCR and Rhodium Group, we have released the 2019 Two-Way Street update, with new data and analysis of U.S.-China capital flows.
 Key findings include the following:Two-way foreign direct investment (FDI) dropped 60% in 2018, amidst political frictions, expanded U.S. investment screening, and Beijing's persistent capital controls.Chinese FDI in the United States fell by more than 80% last year, and was actually negative when accounting for divestitures.Venture capital flows, on the other hand, continued to grow in both directions, and—at $22 billion—surpassed bilateral FDI for the first time.Explore New Data:Interactive  |  Full Report  |  Executive SummarySelect Media Coverage:CNBC | SCMP | The Telegraph | New York PostVideo:New York Launch Event featuring Thilo HanemannConstance HunterStephen OrlinsCatherine Pan-GiordanoDaniel Rosen

Release Nawaz Atta and other enforced disappeared persons. BHRO

16'May 2019(Current Balochistan)Baloch Human Rights Organization (BHRO) held a protest against the enforced disappearance of civilians including Nawaz Atta, Information Secretary of BHRO in front of Quetta Press Club. Families of victims of enforced disappearances and civil society activists participated in the demonstration. 
While addressing the participants, the activists of BHRO and VBMP said that increase in enforced disappearances of civilians across Balochistan is worrisome. Victimizing of women and children has given rise to an environment of fear and insecurity among the populace which we strongly condemn. The Vice Chairperson of Baloch Human Rights Organization Tayyaba Baloch said Nawaz Atta Baloch was the Information Secretary of BHRO who has been raising his voice against human rights violations in Balochistan. On October 28, 2017, forces raided his apartment in Gulistan-e-Johar and whisked him away. His whereabouts are still unknown. The organization also organized …

4 went missing by hand of Forces.

17'May 2019(Current Balochistan)Current Balochistan's reporter has reported of two people being abducted by Pakistani ArmyLast night, forces raided a house in Tijaban. After searching the area, they abducted two people.The people who were abducted are identified as Pullan s/o Murad Bux and SherJan s/o Muhammad NoorAccording to the locals there, the abducted person named Pullan is mentally ill.Karachi: Pakistani forces also abducted 2 students.Current Balochistan's correspondent has reported of forces disappearing 2 Students from Gulshen-e-Iqbal, Karachi. The Students who were abducted are known as Nasir s/o Azeem R/o Kech & Rahmdil S/o Peer Bux R/o Hoshab Kech.http://cubalochistan.home.blog/2019/05/16/4-went-missing-by-hand-of-forces/

9 suspected militants killed in security forces' operation in Balochistan's Mastung

Syed Ali ShahUpdated May 16, 2019The body of a suspected militant is shifted following the joint operation. — DawnNewsTVSecurity forces claimed to have killed nine suspected militants during a raid in Balochistan's Mastung district on Thursday.Sources in the Counter-terrorism Department (CTD) said that personnel of CTD and other law enforcement agencies conducted a joint operation against suspected militants in Qabo Mehran area of Mastung.During the ensuing exchange of fire with the militants, four security personnel also sustained injuries, the sources added. The injured security men were rushed to a hospital for treatment.Security forces also recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunition from the possession of the suspected militants.A senior security officer who declined to be named told DawnNewsTV that the slain militants were affiliated with an outlawed organisation. Their bodies were transported to Quetta for postmortem examination.Mastung is considered to be one of the s…

9 suspected militants killed in security forces' operation in Balochistan's Mastung

Syed Ali ShahUpdated May 16, 2019The body of a suspected militant is shifted following the joint operation. — DawnNewsTVSecurity forces claimed to have killed nine suspected militants during a raid in Balochistan's Mastung district on Thursday.Sources in the Counter-terrorism Department (CTD) said that personnel of CTD and other law enforcement agencies conducted a joint operation against suspected militants in Qabo Mehran area of Mastung.During the ensuing exchange of fire with the militants, four security personnel also sustained injuries, the sources added. The injured security men were rushed to a hospital for treatment.Security forces also recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunition from the possession of the suspected militants.A senior security officer who declined to be named told DawnNewsTV that the slain militants were affiliated with an outlawed organisation. Their bodies were transported to Quetta for postmortem examination.Mastung is considered to be one of the s…

Young scholars to receive aid for Silk Road research

By Cheng Si | China Daily | Updated: 2019-05-16 09:16Guests visit a photo exhibition titled Diversity of Asian Civilizations in Youth Eyes during an interval of the forum in Beijing on Wednesday. [Photo/Xinhua]An agreement to support young scholars' research into the Silk Road was signed between China and UNESCO during a session of the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations in Beijing on Wednesday.Under the agreement, an international academic program will be launched with funding of $1 million from the Chinese government to scholars under 35 years of age from around the world.Hosted by the Ministry of Education and UNESCO, the session - entitled "Safeguarding the Diversity of Asian Civilizations" - focused on cultural interactions among Asian people and discussed challenges in terms of revitalizing the multiple cultures of Asian countries and regions.Lee Byong-hyun, chairman of the executive board of UNESCO, said at the session's opening ceremony that multila…

Cambodian King Supports Belt and Road Initiative: Chinese Media

16 May 2019Hul Reaksmey VOA KhmerCambodian King Norodom Sihamoni, second right, and Chinese President Xi Jinping, left, attend a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, Tuesday, May 14, 2019. (Jason Lee/Pool Photo via AP)ShareKing Norodom Sihamoni told Chinese President Xi Jinping that Cambodia would further support his overseas investment strategy, which has been criticized by the U.S.PHNOM PENH — King Norodom Sihamoni said during a visit to Beijing that Cambodia is prepared to further support China’s overseas investment strategy, known as the “Belt and Road Initiative”, state-owned Chinese media reported Wednesday.King Norodom Sihamoni is on a three-day visit to Beijing to attend the Conference on Dialogue of Asian Civilizations, which attracted hundreds of attendants from across Asia, including government leaders and heads of state.He met bilaterally with Chinese President Xi Jinping, during which he said “his country stands ready to promote the Belt and Road Initiative…

Southeast Asia and China’s Belt and Road Initiative

A closer look at the dynamics behind the subregion’s continued management of the opportunities and challenges within the evolving initiative.  By Prashanth ParameswaranMay 15, 2019When China held the second iteration of its Belt and Road Forum (BRF) last month, Southeast Asian states unsurprisingly factored prominently in both the official guest list and the content of the overall deliberations. But while headlines may suggest a sunny outlook for Southeast Asia’s future role in the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), in fact they belie a more mixed reality where much of the subregion is still managing the opportunities and challenges within BRI as it evolves.As I have noted before, since the unveiling of China’s BRI in 2013 – with the “Road” component initially rolled out by President Xi Jinping during a visit to Indonesia – Southeast Asia has remained important to the advancement of the initiative. In part, this is due to the fact that China has perceived that it can build on several adv…

Three labourers gunned down in Balochistan

By mohammad zafar May.16,2019Police claim search under way to arrest the armed menQUETTA  : Unidentified armed men opened indiscriminate fire on labourers working in an agriculture field in the Manjho Shori area of Naseerabad district, killing three of them and injuring one.According to police, armed men entered Bhusa Mandi in Goth Raees of Manjho Shori targeting labourers working inside. “Due to indiscriminate firing, three labourers from Sindh were killed and one received bullet injuries,” police added.The attackers managed to escape.Security forces along with rescue workers reached the spot and shifted the bodies to a nearby district headquarter hospital.The deceased were identified as Gangli, Arji and Meer Machi, who came from Tando Adam and were daily-wage labourers.“The bodies have been shifted to Tando Adam for burial while the police have lodged a First Information Report against unidentified persons,” said Naseerabad Superintendent of Police Irfan Bashir. “Hunt for arrest of …

Xinjiang internment camps 

‘At least one million people in the camps full time’: deputy assistant secretary Scott Busby / Radio Free Asia
Scott Busby, deputy assistant secretary in the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor at the U.S. Department of State:Clearly, they are not vocational training centers, as China says they are. There are many, many highly educated people in these camps, highly accomplished people in these camps, and that belies China’s own description of the camps. I don’t really want to get into what we should call them, but I will say we know that over a million people are in these camps, they are held there against their will, some of them are subject to torture, some of them are subject to cruel, inhuman, degrading treatment or punishment. We know that some people have died in the camps. So, clearly, what’s happening in the camps is horrific.

Netherlands issues “China strategy”

China strategy ‘The Netherlands & China: a new balance’ / Government of the NetherlandsWhile noting, “Our preference is to act in concert with the EU,” and _“The government sees the EU as the main channel for its relations with China,”_ the Dutch government’s short policy document also _“calls for a rebalancing of our bilateral relationship” and describes its position toward China as “both constructive and critical.”_ The summary continues:_The Netherlands seeks to work with China on issues like climate change and energy, the SDGs [sustainable development goals], fighting epidemics, the circular economy and sustainability, eldercare, agri-food and logistics/transport. But we must also be mindful of security issues (including those concerning economic security), cyberespionage, undesirable influencing, and our own norms and values. In short, the government will take advantage of opportunities whenever possible and safeguard its interests whenever necessary.Document
https://www.gove…

CHINA: BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY, Culture and Politics

Source: SupChina com
BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY:Foreign companies targeted in cyber security crackdown 
Foreign companies in China face cyber security crackdown / FT (paywall)
“Beijing is set to implement a strengthened regime of cyber rules under its existing ‘multilevel protection scheme’ (MLPS) in December, according to documents seen by the Financial Times that are yet to be publicly announced…
But it has emerged that foreign companies are already being scrutinized for possible cyber security violations. Kent Kedl, partner at Control Risks, a global risk management firm, said at least two foreign companies that deal with consumer data in China had been under official investigation for several months.”An alternative to soybeans?
Can the tiger nut solve the soybean crisis? / Chinadialogue
“The tuber of Cyperus esculentus, known as the tiger nut, could ease China’s reliance on soy imports.”Huawei to grow cloud business
Huawei promotes cloud with new products as carrier segment stumbles/ Tec…

Quote of the day: Baloch versus Beijing

For years, the Pakistani military maintained a crushing grip on the insurgency, while brushing off accusations of serious rights abuses.However, analysts suggest Chinese investment appears to have infused the nationalist movement with new energy, inflaming the long-running grievance over resources and giving sometimes disparate groups a common focus.At the same time, Pakistan’s determination to protect Chinese investment prompted the military to further intensify its stance, deepening resentment among the Baloch people.

Baloch versus Beijing: how Chinese investment in Pakistan has energised a violent separatist movement

South AsiaBaloch versus Beijing: how Chinese investment in Pakistan has energised a violent separatist movementCPEC is part of China’s Belt and Road Initiative and would link the western province of Xinjiang with the Pakistani port of GwadarThe problem is that Balochistan, the province through which much of CPEC runs, is riven by Islamist, sectarian, and separatist insurgenciesTopic |  PakistanAgence France-PressePublished: 11:41am, 15 May, 2019A vast Chinese-funded infrastructure project in Pakistan has become a major trigger for separatist insurgents, galvanising their movement as they employ new tactics – including suicide attacks – in an escalation that could rattle Beijing, observers say.A deadly weekend attack by gunmen who stormed the luxury Pearl Continental hotel in Gwadar, a port on Pakistan’s southern coast, was the latest high-profile assault linked to the multibillion-dollar China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).CPEC – part of China’s massive Belt and Road Initiative – …