* The phrase ‘Chinese debt trap’ coined by RAW academic
* Chinese govt. initially wary about further involvement in Hambantota
* Public diplomacy not China’s strong point
* Djibouti port doing well under China Merchant Co.
* China Merchant Co upbeat about prospects of Hambantota port
Two Hong Kong based academics, Professor Barry Sautman of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Prof. Yan Hairong from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University were in Sri Lanka last week on a case study of Sri Lanka as a prime example of a country caught in a ‘Chinese debt trap’.
Since 2004, the duo had specialized in studying the economic relationship between China and Africa. Their special focus was on Zambia where China had heavy involvement in the mining industry and to a lesser extent in retailing and agriculture …