Weekly Report 3|7 11.9.2019-11.15.2019
David Gitter, Julia Bowie, Jake Eberts, Brock Erdahl, Sandy Lu, Daniel Shats, and Connor Swank
The Central Committee released new guidelines for party member education and training and, with the State Council, guidelines for patriotic education (see Senior Leaders section).
At the BRICS Summit in Brazil, Xi Jinping made a statement on Hong Kong that was highlighted in official media (see Senior Leaders section).
Qiushi published a speech by Xi Jinping on the salience on the Communist Manifesto for contemporary Chinese communists (see Propaganda Work section).
United Front Work Department Head You Quan explained the Fourth Plenum’s significance for united front work (see United Front section).
The Central Military Commission held a conference on promoting the “grassroots construction” of the military (see CMC section).
CCP Central Committee General Office Publishes “2019-2023 National Party Member Education and Training Work Plan”
11.11 The General Office of the CCP Central Committee put out the “2019-2023 National Party Member Education and Training Work Plan” and issued a notice asking each region and department to implement it. The general demands and goals of the work plan are defined as:
1. Solidify and deepen study of Xi Jinping thought on socialism with Chinese characteristics for the new era, more deeply absorb the party’s innovation theory in minds and hearts, [make] the broad masses of party members consciously carry out the new ideology, adapt to the new era, and develop new accomplishments, and under the guidance of Xi Jinping thought on socialism with Chinese characteristics for the new era, unify willpower, unify action, and march forward in unison.
2. Make the results of education and training more outstanding, and make the ideology and beliefs of the vast array of party members more firm, further enhance their party spirit, further strengthen their awareness of the objective, further upgrade their capabilities and quality, further improve their mastery of disciplined work style, and further give play to their pioneering and exemplary roles.
3. Further perfect the new era party member education and training system, progressively normalize concentrated training, make daily education more standardized, and promote forming a chain of party membership construction work that organically links education, management, supervision, and service.
CCP Central Committee and State Council Publish “Outline for Implementing Patriotic Education for a New Era”
11.12 The CCP Central Committee and the State Council jointly released an “Outline for Implementing Patriotic Education for a New Era” and issued a notice asking each region and department to implement it. The outline has 34 points, arranged in 6 parts.
1. General requirements: Persist with making the China Dream of the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation a clear theme; persist in uniting love of the party, country, and socialism; persist in making protecting unification of the motherland and national unity a focal point; persist with the strong foundation and focusing on construction; persist with firmly establishing a China that “faces the world”
2. Basic contents: Persist with using Xi Jinping thought on socialism with Chinese characteristics for the new era to arm the whole party and educate the people; thoroughly develop education on socialism with Chinese characteristics and the China Dream; thoroughly develop education on the national conditions and current policy; vigorously carry forward the national spirit and spirit of the times; extensively carry out education on party history, national history, and the history of reform and opening up; pass down and carry forward excellent Chinese traditional culture; strengthen education on advancing the unification of the motherland and national unity; strengthen national security and defense education
3. Patriotic education for the new era should be directed towards every person, focusing on the youth: Give full play to the role of the classroom as the main channel; manage ideological and political theory classes in school well; organize and release patriotic publications; extensively organize and launch practice activities; enhance the spirit of patriotic struggle among the intellectual community; arouse the patriotic zeal of people in all social circles.
4. Enrich the medium for carrying out patriotic education for the new era: Construct and utilize the base of patriotic education and defense education; emphasize and utilize ceremonial etiquette; organize major commemoration events; give play to the educational function of traditional and modern festivals; rely on natural and cultural landscapes and major engineering projects to carry out education
5. Create a dense atmosphere of patriotic education for the new era: Utilize mass media such as newspapers, radio, movies, and TV; give play to the leading roles of “exemplary models”; produce fine cultural works; “sing the main melody of Internet patriotism”; cultivate a proactive, enterprising, open, inclusive, rational, and peaceful national mentality; strengthen institutions and ensure of the rule of law
6. Strengthen the organizational leadership of patriotic education of the new era: Party committees and the government at each level should assume the main responsibility; mobilize enthusiasm and initiative of the masses; pursue pragmatism and focus on practical results
Xi Jinping: Stopping Violence, Controlling Chaos, and Restoring Order are Now the Most Urgent Tasks in Hong Kong
11.14 Xi Jinping expressed the Chinese government’s firm stance on the situation in Hong Kong at the 11th BRICS Summit in Brazil. Xi said that “the radical, violent criminal behavior that continues to happen in Hong Kong seriously tramples rule of law and social order, seriously damages Hong Kong’s prosperity and stability, and seriously challenges the bottom line of the ‘One Country, Two Systems’ principle.” He said, “stopping the violence, controlling the chaos, and restoring order are the most urgent tasks in Hong Kong now,” and expressed firm support for the Hong Kong SAR government and police, and judicial bodies to “punish violent criminals according to the law.” He stressed China’s “unwavering determination” to protect national sovereignty, security, and development interests, to implement the “One Country, Two Systems” policy, and to oppose foreign intervention in Hong Kong affairs.
PD Commentator: Let the Spirit of Patriotism Firmly Take Root
11.13 People’s Daily released a commentary article lauding the virtues of patriotic education. The article discussed the “Outline for Implementing Patriotic Education for a New Era” recently published by the Central Committee and the State Council and stated that “the spirit of patriotism is deeply rooted in the hearts of Chinese children, and is the Chinese people’s spiritual gene, encouraging generation after generation of Chinese children to unremittingly strive for the motherland’s prosperous development.” The article quoted Xi Jinping extolling the importance of the Communist Party to the spirit of patriotism and explained that under the leadership of the Central Committee with Xi as its core, the Party had achieved success in promoting patriotic education. The article also called for “insisting on the integration of love of party, love of country, and love of socialism” and for educating the entire country to be patriotic.
Xi Jinping: The Basic Theories of Marxism are a Required Course for Communists
11.15 Qiushi republished a speech on the Communist Manifesto originally given by Xi Jinping during the fifth study session of the current Politburo, which took place on 23 April, 2018. In the speech, Xi reviewed the “great theoretical contributions” of Marx’s Communist Manifesto, outlining several key features he considered important for Party members to remember. In particular, he stressed the international character of communism, which “is not a narrow, regional movement; if the proletariat is to be fully liberated, it must liberate all of mankind, and call upon the workers of the world to unite.” He noted that the first edition of the CCP’s party platform was made directly in accordance with the spirit of the Communist Manifesto, and (despite changes in the interim), asserted that “the Communist Party of China is the faithful bearer of the spirit of the Communist Manifesto.”
From the Manifesto, insisted Xi, the CCP can draw six major lessons: first, “to continue unceasingly in the struggle for the grand ideals of communism and and shared idealism of socialism with Chinese Characteristics”; second, “to faithfully implement development[ally-oriented] thought with the people at the center”; third, “establish a community of shared future for mankind in accordance with the trends of world development”; fourth, “strengthen the construction of the Party in accordance to the requirements of the new era”; fifth, “continually open up new frontiers in the sinification of Marxism”; and sixth, “strengthen the study and research of classic Marxist works.”
United Front Work
“Authoritative Interpretation of the 19th Central Committee’s Fourth Plenum Decision” You Quan: Uphold the Great United Front Work Scheme
United Front Work Department WeChat Account
11.13 The United Front Work Department’s WeChat account released a document written by United Front Department head You Quan (尤权) entitled “Uphold the Great United Front (大统战) Work Scheme,” in the recently published reading guide for the Fourth Plenum “Decision.” You Quan’s section outlined the implications of the Fourth Plenum for united front work:
1. Profoundly understand and grasp the important significance of upholding the great united front work structure: Xi Jinping focuses on long term development of the United Front work and attaches great importance to constructing its structure. His demands are an action guide for promoting united front work innovation and development of a new era. It is also necessary to strengthen the party's centralized and unified leadership over the united front.
2. Profoundly understand and grasp the essence of upholding the great united front work scheme: In the new era of socialism with Chinese characteristics, the historic direction and mission of the united front are undergoing major changes. Under the new circumstances of diversifying forms of ownership, social hierarchy, and social ideology, the essence of constructing the great united front work structure has become richer, mainly with regard to leadership capability and the objects, subjects, and mechanisms of united front work. More specifically, united front work should perform well in work on political party relations, ethnic relations, religious relations, class relations, and domestic and overseas compatriot relations.
3. Profoundly understand and grasp the focal points of the great united front work scheme: United front work departments at each level should thoroughly unify ideology and action with the spirit of the Central Committee, increase their willingness to take on responsibilities, vigorously promote the construction of the great united front work scheme, and advance innovation and development of united front work in every field.
Central Commission for Discipline Inspection and National Supervisory Commission Publish Second Batch of Achievements of Special Rectification Work of Problems that Neglect or Infringe on the Interests of the Masses
CCDI & NSC
11.10 In partnership with several other ministries, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI) and National Supervisory Commission (NSC) this week announced a second batch of achievements from its work to resolve issues facing the masses. The report emphasized three key points. First, it discussed measures taken to “safeguard the masses’ ‘tip-of-the-tongue’ security and deepen the development of joint operations to curb food security issues.” Since the start of the special rectification campaign, the country has cracked down on food safety violators such as “black factories, black workshops, and black dens.”
Second, it discussed “resolving the problems of ecological devastation and environmental pollution that the masses have strongly made known, firmly correcting the normal omissions in ecological and environmental protection and urgent ‘one size fits all’ problems, and firmly correcting the outstanding problems of the chaotic occupation of, excavation in, littering in, and construction on rivers and lakes.” The Central Ecological and Environmental Protection Inspectorate has handled over 10,000 cases, levied more than 232 million yuan in penalties, and made a number of arrests.
Third, it addressed “resolving the prominent issues of the regular usage and daily maintenance of rural water supply projects, broadband internet, rural roads, and others.” Under the special rectification campaign, water supplies have been restored and rural internet coverage issues have been resolved in many areas, and more than 62,000 kilometers of rural roads have been restored.
Central Military Commission
Xi Jinping at Central Military Commission Grassroots Construction Conference: Carry Forward Fine Traditions, Strengthen Reform and Innovation, and Promote Comprehensive Progress and Overall Excellence in the Military’s Grassroots Construction
11.8-10 Xi Jinping spoke at a conference on the military’s grassroots construction and stressed that the foundation and power of a strong and flourishing military lies in “reinforcing the grassroots construction of our military.” He said that in recent years, the PLA’s grassroots construction has been “facing many new situations and new changes,” and called on the PLA to “scientifically grasp, actively adapt to, and earnestly resolve outstanding contradictions and problems, and promote the comprehensive progress and overall excellence of grassroots construction.” He emphasized that “[China] should forge…an excellent grassroots [military],” which is loyal to the party, strong enough to win battles, and disciplined strictly and properly.
Earnestly Study and Implement Xi Jinping’s Important Speech at the Central Military Commission Grassroots Construction Conference
11.11-14 PLA Daily published a series of commentator articles on Xi Jinping’s speech at the Central Military Commission’s Grassroots Construction Conference. The first article focused on how the foundation and power of a strong and flourishing military lies in “reinforcing the grassroots construction of our military.” It discussed the importance of the grassroots in the overall work and combat capabilities of the PLA and stressed that “the new era needs a new spirit and new conduct.” The second article discussed Xi’s demand that the grassroots level of the army “obeys the party and follows with the party.” It emphasized ensuring the party’s absolute leadership over the military and ensuring the correct political direction of grassroots construction. The third article discussed Xi’s demand for a competent grassroots level of the army that can fight and win battles. The fourth article discussed Xi’s demand for a strictly and correctly disciplined grassroots level, stressing comprehensively implementing the policy to manage the armed forces with strict discipline and in accordance with the law.
International Liaison Work
21st Century Maritime Silk Road International Think Tank Forum (2019) Held in Guangzhou
11.9 The 21st Century Maritime Silk Road International Think Tank Forum was held in Guangzhou, the fourth since it first began in 2016. The event was held “under the guidance of” the Silk Road Think Tank Association and the Guangdong provincial government, and organized in cooperation with the Guangdong Institute for International Strategies, the International Department’s China Center for Contemporary World Studies, the Institute for World Economics and Politics of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, and Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.
The theme of the forum was “high-quality development of the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road,” focusing more specifically on “global economic governance and the Belt and Road Initiative [BRI], joining the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area with the BRI, global sinology and the propagation of China’s image abroad, the social responsibilities of Chinese enterprises abroad, international immigration, people-to-people exchange and international educational cooperation.” The opening address delivered by Xu Lüping (徐绿平), former International Department deputy minister, extolled “the brilliant results of the BRI, which has borne numerous noteworthy achievements, bringing to the global economy new energy and providing stability and confidence to an uncertain and unstable world.”
Around 300 people representing 33 countries attended, including “political, industry, and academic figures” from within China.
International Department Holds “Wanshou Lecture” in Guangzhou to Propagate the Spirit of the 19th Central Committee’s Fourth Plenum
11.10 The International Liaison Department held a “Wanshou Lecture” (万寿讲堂) in Guangzhou under the theme of “Share Governing Experience, Jointly Seek Cooperation and Development,” which served to introduce the spirit of the Fourth Plenum to foreign political parties, think tanks, diplomats, scholars, and students and to share governing experience.
Xinhua explained that the lecture was held “to promote the international community’s understanding of the decision... passed by the 19th Central Committee’s Fourth Plenum, promote governance philosophy and practical experiences exchange between China and foreign countries, and better stimulate common development and shared prosperity.” It said foreign delegations expressed that the Fourth Plenum “provided important institutional support for China to achieve high-quality development,” “provided China a road to further deepening reform” and is “beneficial to promoting other countries’ understanding of China’s position and strengthening their confidence in China’s future.”
11.11 International Department Deputy Head Wang Yajun (王亚军) met with a Lao high-level cadre seminar led by Ministry of Public Security Party Committee Deputy Secretary and Deputy Minister of Public Security Kongthong Phongvichit.
11.12 International Department Deputy Head Qian Hongshan (钱洪山) met with German Left Party Council of Elders President and former German Democratic Republic Prime Minister Hans Modrow.
11.13 Qian Hongshan met with Spanish Ambassador to China Rafael Dezcallar de Mazarredo.
11.14 International Department Head Song Tao (宋涛) and Assistant Head Zhu Rui (朱锐) met with Iranian Vice President for Science and Technology Sorena Sattari.
11.14 International Department Deputy Head Guo Yezhou (郭业洲) met with a joint study group of Pacific island nation politicians led by Samoan Minister of Justice and Courts Administration and Human Rights Protection Party member Fa'aolesa Katopau Ainu'u.
11.14 Qian Hongshan met with a first foreign political parties female cadre seminar delegation led by a Cambodian People's Party representative and Ministry of Economy and Finance Bureau Chief.
11.15 Zhu Rui met with a Free Egyptians Party (FEP) cadre study group led by FEP Politburo member and FEP Chairman Assistant Bilal Habash.
11.15 Zhu Rui met with an Arab countries think tank and media outlet study group led by Centre for Strategic and Diplomatic Studies Director and former Tunisian Minister of Foreign Affairs Rafik Abdessalem.
11.15 Zhu Rui (朱锐) and Li Mingxiang (李明祥) were recently appointed assistants heads of the CCP International Department.